authconfig question

Hello,

I'm using the authconfig tool to configure the system's authentication
through an OpenLDAP local server. I was wondering what happened when the
server is down and I noticed that all authentication fails, even those
in the passwd file. By altering the pam_unix account line in the
/etc/pam.d/system-auth file from:

   account required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

  account sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so

I was able to get the desired effect. Has this any security problem?
Shouldn't the default configuration be like this?
--
Paulo Silva <pjs@xxxxxxxxxxx>