Re: converting user to linux

Ron Goulard wrote:

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 10:35, Jay Daniels wrote:

it may be more practical to install fedora on this sony laptop.
laptop: Sony VAIO
model is: PCG-FR130
sony dvd cdrw drive

I've got FC1 on my Sony Vaio PCG-FRV35.  The only stuff that doesn't
work 'out of the box' is the modem (never tried, don't care for or use
modems) and the ACPI powersaving/hibernate/suspend stuff just doesn't
want to work for me (maybe you'll have better luck?).  As a result, I
can only get about 1-1.5 hrs on battery (using the wireless LAN).

K3b works great for the cd-rw/dvd-rw and the alsa modules helped with
the sound because I wanted the full duplex abilities.  My orinoco
wireless card just works under FC1 (very easy and painless).

what do you think, do i stand a chance to convert her to Linux or am i
wasting my time?  she basically uses the laptop as a desktop pc to
read mail via a webmail service, surf the net, purchase online,
save family photos to cdr, and print stuff.  she would use X almost
entirely with the mouse under a normal user account.  she also has no
interest in learning unix/linux commands or the shell.  has anyone
tried to convert someone to Linux, how did it go?

Some good, some bad.  Just be aware that some people simply don't like
change and you should be ok :)

That's pretty good time on the battery for a Sony. I'm lucky to get one hour with all the drivers installed on my work laptop. Of course I'm running Windows XP on it. :-)

Wade