Re: Logs and how to read them

At 16:36 4/21/2004, you wrote:
I did check all the Windows machines for viruses and worms and found none...I will block outgoing port 25 however as soon as I learn more about iptables, looking into it today. Thinking about getting a gui firewall configuration tool to get it done today but I would prefer to learn how to do things first before I get used to guis.

Go to http://www.shorewall.net and download the Shorewall RPM. Also look at the Documentation and read the "Two-Interface Quick Guide" to get you started. You'll have a functioning, useful, easy-to-configure firewall within about 15 minutes or so. Shorewall is extremely powerful and flexible as a front-end to iptables, and since it's configured through simple text files you can change things remotely, via SSH, at a text terminal, or anywhere.

Shorewall also has an active mailing list and the author answers a good portion of the questions himself. A "five-star all-star kick-ass gotta-have-it" package and one of my all-time favorites.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com