How to boot without X Windows?

I'm trying to install Fedora Core 1 on an off-brand PC. (It's a "Great Quality PC" from Fry's Electronics.) Apparently the installation process mis-identifies my video hardware, because as soon as it tries to start X Windows, the screen goes blank (or, if I connect a more intelligent monitor, it says "Input signal out of range").

By the way, the video hardware is on the motherboard, which is an Elitegroup L7VMM3. The documentation provided is sketchy, but the computer came with Lindows 4.5 installed; it was using a "savage" video driver for X Windows and works fine.

I'm thinking that if I could boot Fedora without having it start X Windows, I could run enough to explore the X configuration and experiment with changing it to try to get it to work with my hardware. I'm hoping there's a generic video driver that will work OK. (I don't care about the video hardware's fancy 2D and 3D graphics.) So how do I keep X Windows from starting? I can *install* in text mode, but I don't know how to stay in text mode when booting.