Re: mp3 issue

Rick Stevens wrote:

vlad wrote:

Is the mpeg layer 3 issue going to be resolved in Fedora Core 2?
Cus' in 1.9 test 2 it sure doesn't work...
I installed XMMS, and I get that message from RH.
Do I need to install another filter, or this multimedia feature is
disabled in test version?

mp3 support is not included in FC1 because the copyright and patent
issues have yet to be resolved.  Until they are and mp3 is GPL'd or made
public domain, you'll need to skirt U.S. law and download one of the
xmms mp3 library stacks from a site outside the U.S.  I won't tell you
where they are, as I am in the U.S.

Note: By downloading and installing such a package, you may be violating
U.S. law. The odds are they won't come after you, but you have been
warned.

You could send them their USD$ 0.75, with a nice letter explaining how much you like thier royalty system, then convert all your mp3's too Ogg.