Re: Rsync and Compression

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 06:59:37AM +0100, WipeOut wrote:

> I have created a script that will backup some files from my web server
> to my local server via the internet.. I will be using Rsync over SSH..
>
> I am unsure of the best way to impliment compression since bothe Rsync
> and SSH have the ability to compress data..

On a local link I turn compression off.  The CPU effort and latency to
compress then uncompress does not justify the time saved in transfer
time.

Also most digital content (images, rpms) do not compress enough to
justify the cycles.  Some increase in size....

Since this depends on your content and your local system capabilities
I can only advise you to list all the possible environment knobs in
your script and then benchmark by turning them on and off.

Of interest if compression proves to be an advantage for backups then
you should check into compression on the httpd server side.  It is
possible to present compressed content to an aware client that is then
expanded locally by the browser.

If you think about it a distant proxy server could do this and make
the link look faster.  Some services are apparently doing this and
charging extra for it.  As a content provider you should do this to
save both you and your customers bandwidth.  It might be interesting
to make sure that precompressed content is not expanded to make a link
look slow.  I seriously doubt that any service would like to be caught
doing this ... but ... ya never know.

The backup impact of this is that the pages on the web site are
compressed already and will not compress any more.  So why bother.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l