Modem light's won't show traffic

Hi,
I'd like to know how to setup the modemlights applet and/or ifup|ifdown scripts so an _ordinary_ user (i.e. not root) can have the traffic shown in the applet.

If I login as root, it works perfect.
If I login as any other user, I can make the connection without problems, but the "light" of the applet reminds yellow (as if it where still connecting), and no traffic is shown.

I suppose it has to do with some permission, but I'd rather ask before chmoding something wrong... I don't want to loose the security of my dial-up connection.

Besides, I suppose it's a bug. If I setup the network interface so any user can start up it (as it is), then the expected behavior of the applet would be that any user can see the connection status and the traffic.

Thanks in advance for any input...

--
Mariano