Re: DSL Tweaking

edwarner99@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I know that Linux if pretty efficient at optimizing
DSL connections and speed, but was wondering if there
are any "tweaks" to be aware of to speed up downloads?

Be very careful.

Most DSL modems are customised to work with a spefic telco.

Although there may be a few different makes of modems supported by a telco's equipment, not all DSL modems will work. The ISP I work for sells our own DSL over "bare copper" in some places and we also resell our regional telco's DSL where it is available.

If you update the firmware in your modem with firmware that is incompatable with the DSL Access Multiplexer {DSLAM} it talks to, then you will have no connection.

We also put a Non-Routable IP on our customers DSL modems in order to help with trouble shooting. We also use the IP on the modem to ensure the cutomer has a good connection. If our monitoring system is not able to ping the modems IP for a specified amount of time, an outage alert is broadcast. If the customer has paid for monitoring we contact them in order to determine the problem and get a repair team out as soon as possible. If we get multiple outages from the same wiring centre, we call the telco in order to get the problem solved as soon as possible.

If your ISP puts an IP on your modem and you change it or loose it your ISP will no doubt be aware that you were messing around with the modem. If your modem no longer works with their equipment, and you have messed with the modem, you will not likely be eligible for a replacement, and will probably have to buy a new one.

Play safe.