Re: DSL Tweaking

Am Mo, den 19.04.2004 schrieb Martin Stone um 17:04:

> Wow, there's a candidate for the Most Pointless Response Award...

Then please feed me and and the others with real data - on Linux /
Fedora! - for comparison between default TCP values and after
"tweaking"!

I once did a research for DSL performance - whatever is meant by that:
throughput or latency or what else? - and did my own tests. The
conclusion from what I got by internet research (unfortunately I can not
quickly find the testing again where the TCP value setting were checked)
and by own tests was: does not change anything.

In contrast in an ethernet network TCP values have a bigger influence
and respecting the specific environment and the services running it
might influence speed and reliability of network connections to change
kernel TCP stack parameters.

but for DSL home users it is worthless to fiddle with these things.
There is even a risk to make things worse. A DSL user should better
check whether traffic shaping make sense (keyword: wondershaper).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2179.nptl
Sirendipity 17:36:43 up 1 day, 22 users, load average: 0.24, 0.38,
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]