Re: DSL Tweaking

Wow, there's a candidate for the Most Pointless Response Award...

Actually, there are some values that people often tweak in hopes of getting better broadband performance, sometimes with pretty decent results. Since I don't run Linux at home, I don't know specifics for Linux and broadband, but I do know that I was able to get an improvement in throughput on Mac OS X by setting the following sysctl values:

net.inet.tcp.sendspace: 65536
net.inet.tcp.recvspace: 65536
net.inet.udp.recvspace: 73728
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack: 0

There may be something analogous that you can do in Linux. The idea behind the sendspace/recvspace lines is to increase the size of some TCP/IP fragmentation buffers so that you can send and receive more packets at a time. The delayed_ack flag turns off a waiting behavior of TCP with regard to acknowledgement packets.

Your mileage may vary, etc., but there's no harm in fooling around with sysctl and /proc/sys/net to see if you can get some better throughput. Also, check out ip-sysctl.txt in the /usr/src/linux*/Documentation/networking directory for some rather sketchy documentation on what all those values do.