Re: How to use Gnome Sessions to Respawn soffice -quickstart

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 19:33, Neil Bird wrote:
> Around about 12/04/2004 19:40, Dexter Ang typed ...
> > /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice -quickstart
> > Whenever this starts up, it doesn't show up in the "Current Session"
> > tab. I was just wondering if there is a way, since I want to
> > Restart/Respawn this process whenever it ends.
>
>    I've not checked, but I'd guess that soffice doesn't support the
> session-manager protocol (XSMP?).
>
>    I believe that only apps. that actively register with the session
> manager (asserting that they know how to manage sessions [like saving
> state, etc.]) will appear in the session list.
>
>    It would seem a bit remiss of soffice not to use XSMP, but I wouldn't
> be wholly surprised.
>

>    You might try something like the following wrapper [untested!] (run
> this instead of soffice - I'm assuming soffice doesn't fork off itself;
>   the xdpyinfo is there to make it abort when you log out):
>
> [/usr/local/bin/soffice-forever]
> #!/bin/sh
> while true; do
>    xdpyinfo 2>&1 >/dev/null  ||  exit
>    soffice -quickstart
> done

hey thanks for the info! i haven't tried your script, but i'm a little
wary of scripts that have infinite while-do-done loops in them =) i
guess i'll just have to live with not closing OOo's windows during the
working hours.

thanks again!

dex