kmail and firefox odd behaviour

I recently learned how to change the file associations so that kmail links to
html URLs would open firefox 0.8 rather than Konquerer. Fine. But then the
content of the web page gets downloaded to a temp file in my home directory
where it is opened (after a significant delay) with broken links.

Can someone steer me to the right info source?

Dave
--
Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings