Re: alias

Nix, Robert P. wrote:

Everyone has given fixes, but nobody has explained why his original command didn't work.

alias is used to alias commands. It is not for substitutions anywhere else in the command line. So cd ule wouldn't work, because ule wasn't the command. The alias ule='cd /usr...' works, if ule is used as a command, not as the parameter of a cd command. The symbolic link given before only works if you're
in the directory that the symbolic link exists in.

The output of 'man alias' was posted earlier that explained why it did not work

----
Robert P. Nix internet: nix.robert@xxxxxxxx
Mayo Clinic phone: 507-284-0844
RO-CE-8-857 page: 507-270-1182
200 First St. SW Rochester, MN 55905 ---- "Codito, Ergo Sum" "In theory, theory and practice are the same,
but in practice, theory and practice are different."