Re: Bad update - X11 corrupted

I disagree... let's find out more about what the problem is first before we encourage him to blow away his whole install.

Keith wrote:
On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 09:07, Dick Brown wrote:

Hi all,
I recently decided to upgrade from RH8 to Fedora. I downloaded the .iso files, burned them and installed without a hitch (checked the md5sum and the finished CDs first).
Unfortunately, when I performed the system update, the X11 package was corrupted. Now I can't boot into Fedora normally. I can get in through the "Linux rescue" from the install disk, but I'm afraid I don't know what to do from there. I'm at that dangerous stage where I know enough to get myself into trouble, but not enough to get myself out, so I don't really want to touch anything without some advice first. Is there an easy fix to this?

Thanks,
Dick

Did you make a boot disk when you changed to fedora? You could use linux single on the command line to boot in single mode. There is a way to create a rescue disk on the
the first CD-ROM.

The best thing to do is to backup your /home directory and maybe /usr/local if you need to and do a clean install. If you have other areas with data you need to save then also include those.

tar cvfz home.tar.gz /home
tar cvfz local.tar.gz /usr/local
then you need to copy or move them to another disks
or burn them to a cdrom using cdrecord.