Re: gui prompt for root password

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 11:50, David L Norris wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 15:28, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > http://fedoranews.org/contributors/matt_hansen/nautilus/
>
> Those instructions are a bit intrusive since it replaces RPM-managed
> files and defaults all users of the computer to running Nautilus as
> root.  Neither of which seem like a good idea...
>

> So, I wrote a script to setup consolehelper and try to create a new
> launcher in the "System Settings" menu if a launcher already exists.
>   http://webaugur.com/wares/files/mkconsole
>

> For Nautilus, you could run it like this:
>   mkconsole /usr/bin/nautilus nautilus-super
>
> Which creates a "Home Folder (Super User)" entry under the System
> Settings menu.

I concur with David's remarks; there are better ways to implement the
desired results outlined in my tutorial. I will be updating the document
with Dave's ideas to make the process more elegant/safe. The script
David posted is great and will do the job quickly and easily.. So unless
you're feeling like doing things manually (perhaps you'd like to
understand how consolehelper works), it's probably saner to just run his
neat script. So, I'll link to this script as well. Thanks to David!

Regards,
-Matt
--
mhelios - www.fedoraforum.org
Registered Linux User #348963 / counter.li.org