sending mail from queue

I would like for mutt to queue mail and then have the mail sent
later - not postponed.

For instance, if am upgrading or installing packages with apt-get then
try to send a message with mutt, it hangs for a few seconds because my
network connection is slowed by the packages being downloaded.

How do I que mail and have all queued mail sent periodically using
mutt and postfix?  I understand that Qmail has the ability to monitor
a specified folder for outgoing mail, but I am using the default
postfix MDA.

This applies to any mua, not just mutt.

I would be interested how other users have their mail setup, in
particular users using postfix and mutt.

If one could get mutt to store the message in an outgoing folder would
be later sent automatically, it would be much nicer than having to
wait for postfix or sendmail for that matter to accept or send the
message.  In otherwords, I want it to be instant when hit I y in mutt
but notify me if it wasn't sent properly for xyz reason!

jay