Re: X11 issue after using up2date

jludwig wrote:

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 12:34, Ryan wrote:

Hi there,

I just installed FC1 last night and let it ran the updates, there were 100 of them. Then after it errored out half way through, my computer wouldn't run right. No X-Window programs were opening, i could get to terminal sessions etc. So I decided to reboot (old habit), then when my system came up I was greeted with: "'X' is respawning to fast... suspending for 5 minutes" or something like that. So I logged in to the command line and tried 'startx'. I then was greeted with this message:
"error while loading shared libraries libXmau.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such File or Directory"

So then after some searching around at the red hat site, I found how to invoke the X Configator for RH9 so I tried (can't remember the exact command but this is close):
redhat-configure-XFree86
Same error as startx. So is it possible that up2date messed up my X-Windows? Is there a way to recover except by reinstall?

Thanks,

Ryan

what has most likely happened is that some programs/files are upgraded
for X and not others. This is my yum.conf (go ahead and use these
mirrors).
As root run the command <yum upgrade> and hopefully this will fix your
system.

[main]cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1

[base]
name=Fedora Core 1 Base :: [http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov]
baseurl=http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/fedora-core/1/i386/os
       http://dag.atrpms.net/redhat/fc1/en/i386/dag
       http://apt.sw.be/redhat/fc1/en/i386/dag

updates-released]
name=Fedora Core 1 Updates :: [http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov]
baseurl=http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/fedora-core/updates/1/i386

[fedora-extra] name=Fedora Core 1 Extras :: [http://www.fedora.us]
baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/stable

2 Questions now:
1) What is the command for the <yum upgrade>, i can figure out the switches and args that I will need, just need a little help getting pointed in the right direction
2) Should I not use up2date and just this yum update?

Thanks,

Ryan