Re: is fedora so slow ?

On Monday 12 April 2004 12:50, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have installed fedora core 1 on my computer,  after 2 days challenging
> with display adaptor .the motherboard is asus p4vp-mx with  s3 prosavage
> k133 , via VT6103 ethernet card and CPU is celeron. now every thing is
> fine,other than  speed, specialy when the color depth of display is a
> milioncolors.i redused the the resolution to 256 color.it is better now but
> steel slow. the other thing is fedora recognized NIC as a VT6102 which is
> defferent but working . is it fedora core 1 is slow at all or maybe
> ethernet driver or display adaptor is not recognized properly by fedora .
> any suggestion would be great help.

How much and which type of ram is in your system.  I have found fedora
unbelieveable slow with 256 of PC133 or 192 of DDR266.  It is acceptable with
384 of PC133 or 256 of DDR266 and runs quite nice with 512 of 133 or 384 of
DDR.

Now before some of you start flaming me for this, I do know that fedora is not
running out of memory on these configurations.  What is happening is that the
memory is made available for use as a cache which helps programs to run much
faster.

With memory prices running $20-40 for 256mb ram, I would definitely suggest a
memory upgrade.