Re: Documenting ClamAV on Fedora?

On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 14:26, Ron Goulard wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 00:51, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-04-12 at 09:05, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > > define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clamav')dnl
> > >
> > > That is no needed sendmail.mc entry. InputMailFilters is set up
> > > automatically in sendmail.cf, even if you use multiple milter
> > > applications. If used though "define" entries have to be placed at top
> > > of sendmail.mc, in front of FEATURE and INPUT_MAIL_FILTER entries. Last
> > > in front of the MAILER settings.
>

> > Is this somehow better than using procmail to call clamav-milter?
>
> What follows can be seen as purely a WildAssedGuess.  I haven't been
> able to test or verify this.  If I am wrong, then please simply ignore
> this post and I'll go sit in the corner with my dunce cap.  There are
> others who can answer much more authoritatively than I.
>
> I've observed that by calling clamav-milter (or anything for that
> matter) via procmail, the entire message is accepted, with or without a
> virus, spooled to disk, etc., all the normal things, before the scan
> takes place.
>
> Here's the guessing part...
> Calling clamav-milter from sendmail.cf _appears_ to pick the virus
> signature out of the incoming data stream and close the connection when
> one is found, thereby eliminating the extra disk work.
>
> That may or may not be what's happening.  It's simply my observation.
> Some could argue that it's a small distinction but on a heavily loaded,
> high volume server, it may make a difference.

Ah, ok, I may try it. My mail server (which was running
clamav-0.67/clamav-milter out of procmail) just had the clamd croak hard
last night, the service script could not restart it without manually
removing /var/lock/subsys/clamd first. Not sure what happened, the log
just started showing generic errors and then nothing. I have updated to
the latest .70rc from their website in the meantime.

--
Chris Kloiber, RHCX
Red Hat, Inc.