Re: A curse on LABEL=

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 07:47, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I was just bitten again by the LABEL= bug.
> For some reason, "make install" 2.6 kernels
> causes a new entry in grub.conf using root=LABEL=/ ,
> even though the entry being copied says /dev/hda?
>
> I don't know why - and don't really want to know why -
> but this causes a panic on my machine,
> with the root partition not found,
> even though it has the correct label according to e2label.
>
> I understand the supposed advantage of LABEL
> if one is changing a hard disk,
> but I just feel the confusion it causes vastly outweighs its merits.
> Am I alone in this?

	I personally don't like the LABEL feature... Makes it real hard to
retrieve data from a drive if you put it in another system :(

--
Homer Parker                    /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
BOFH for homershut.net          \ / No HTML/RTF in email

"Bill Gates reports on security progress made and the challenges ahead."
-- Microsoft's Homepage, on the day an SQL Server bug crippled large
   sections of the Internet.