extract root CA certs from Mozilla?

Has anyone figured out a way to extract the root CA certs from Mozilla
into individually PEM-encoded certs?

This seems a reasonably secure way to get a comprehensive list of root
CA certs, so that I can load them into sendmail (and actually *verify*
the certificates of sites which support STARTTLS).

I've located the certs in the mozilla distribution; they're in:

    mozilla/security/nss/lib/ckfw/builtins/certdata.txt

But the certdata.txt file is in some type of custom format.

There's a "certutil" program in the Mozilla distribution:

    mozilla/security/nss/cmd/certutil

But it isn't built by default, and I can't figure out how to build it.
(Running "make" in the directory detonates magnificently.)

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a trustworthy source of all of the
common root CA certs, in PEM encoding?

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute