smtp queue?

How do I setup background sending or queue my mail?

Using postfix.  Should I install some type of serial mail program to
queue the mail if the network is down or the sendto address fails when
sending?

Thought about closing the smtp daemon and trying to use postfix bin
directly, but that didn't work.  postfix seems to just connect to port
25 of my box to send mail.

Anyway to send mail directly with mutt without having an smtp server
running on port 25?

jay