Re: Problem with DHCP, /etc/hosts and GNOME

William Hooper wrote:
Rick Stevens said:

The problem is that xdm creates the initial cookie based on the
hostname.  All additional auth sessions base off that cookie.  If you
change the hostname, then the initial cookie is no longer valid.

I think the command you used was "xauth generate :0 ."

I would wonder if you hack dhclient-script (or any more appropriate place)
to do this when the IP changes...  Might have some interesting
consequences for existing sessions, though.

Well, "xauth merge" might help in that sort of script. I suggest that, as your machine just became "someone else" if the hostname changes.

I suppose I could tinker around this weekend and see what I come up
with as to a work-around.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      The moving cursor writes, and having written, blinks on.      -