Re: Is Linux always so frustating^

In short Linux is not frustrating it requires a bit of intelligence, a
bit of common sense and a lot of reading, especially if you are new to
it.

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 17:16, pinco wrote:
> Hi,
> perhaps this message will irritate all of you, that's not my intention,
> so I beg your pardon if it does.
>
> I don't think I lack of experience in computer matters, even if I'm not
> an expert (see my homepage), but I'm really frustrated with Linux (Fedora).
>
> Since I'm not happy with MS policy I'm trying to switch to Linux, but
> until now very few programs I succeeded to install without wasting a lot
> of time and even so I didn't succeed.
>
> I'm happy with OpenOffice, very happy with Audacity (which I discovered
> thanks to this list), but what else?
>
> In these days I tried a substitute to Front Page, but I failed to install
> Quanta! (I'm a newbie, but I don't have any problems with installing and
> even coding on Windows. Besides I've read in a mailing list that it
> crashes with Fedora Core 1). NVU is more o less a HTML editor. So I
> didn't succeed to find a substitute!

Quanta doesn't crash with FC1, well the version coming with KDE 3.2.1
does not.

as to the other HTML editors you could try SCREAM or bluefish, Nvu is
quite good but at the early stage of development so U should expect some
problems with it. I'm sure you did not run beta versions of windows nor
office.

> For some application, as I understood, I should have different programs
> because they depend on others: OpenOffice use Mozilla, so even if I
> don't like this browser I must have its libraries, if I decide to use
> Gnome I must have even the KDE libraries, because some programs require
> them, and so on.

Is that a problem or you just searching for a hole?

> Hardware should be compatible, so I have to buy new ones. (Yes, I wrote
> to the firms asking for drivers, but in the meanwhile...)

from my experience with Linux am hard pushed to find stuff that doesn't
work with Linux, sure it might require a bit of searching and a bit of
compiling but HEY, thats the beauty of Linux

> So I ask you what wrong?
>
> Why am I failing to switch to Linux?
>
> Please, pay attention to the fact that I'm asking help,  don't insult
> me... if you can :)
>
> Thanks,
> Nino

I'm quite sure that most, if not all, of your problems could be solved
just by "googling" or asking questions in this and other Linux
newsgroups.

and picking one of the books about fedora core is not a bad idea either.

P.S as to your web page: not using dtd's is a very bad thing.

> --
> http://www.vessella.it (italiano, esperanto, kiswahili, english)
> http://www.changamano.org (Iniziative di solidarietà per la Tanzania)
> http://www.lernado.it (Articoli di quotidiani della Tanzania, Corso di lingua swahili, Corso di lingua esperanto, Vocabolario esperanto-italiano, Jifunze lugha ya Kiesperanto, Kamusi ya Kiesperanto)

Bart Kalita  MCP

Registered Linux user #347493	Fedora Core 1

http://www.bart-domain.com	http://www.astradine.no-ip.org