Re: Latest FC kernel still have SMP bugs?

WipeOut wrote:
Nigel Wade wrote:

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:

Is the FC1 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl kernel still having problems with SMP and hanging?
I'm due to install some MP servers soon and want to avoid problems (imagine that!).

If said kernel is still having trouble, what's the easiest fix?

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently investigating SMP here. When I tried stock FC1 and the latest 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl I had severe problems with LDAP. I didn't get any hard lockup, but I would have delays of between 4 and 300 secs in LDAP response times. I have a strong suspicion that the delays are related to FUTEX, but that's hard to prove.

I found that disabling hyperthreading is the answer to my problems. When I disabled it in the BIOS LDAP started behaving itself.

I'm currently stress testing the LDAP server and it's managing ~40,000 requests per minute with the peak search times of around 5ms. I read in some other threads that mounting/unmounting NFS and Samba filesystems lead to hard lockups so I'm mounting/listing/unmounting one of each every half hour. The test will be left running for the next 72 hours to see what happens...

Compile a SMP kernel from vanilla kernel.org source and it works like a dream.. Even with HT enabled.. :)

Later..

My system crashed at 23:35. The cron job to mount/unmount filesystems was set to run at :10 and :35 every hour. Given what other people report in this and other threads I'd say either mount or unmount was the culprit.

I think I'll be building my own kernel now.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555