Re: Fedora core 1 sendmail problems

Having the same MAC address is not a problem, because the linksys has it's own unique MAC address which it uses internally. The MAC address of the PC LAN card is only used by the linksys as an external interface so that the cable modem/ISP think it is still the same PC. On the inside, I have the linksys along with 3 PCs all having their own MAC address. This setup has worked that way for at least 3 years.

From: roger2 <roger2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fedora core 1 sendmail problems
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:42:30 +0100

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:35:59 -0500, Homer Sapions <hsapions@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Alexander, I may contact you again to help with testing directly. The problem is that my ISP has bound my IP address to the MAC address of the first PC I attached. I can get it changed, but it may take 4 - 8 hours, so I have just set the linksys to masquerade as the first PCs MAC address.
So in effect if I read you right you have the same MAC address in 2 places.
Might not be part of this problem but not best practice.
Think about geting the IP bound to the routers MAC address.
Regards Roger