Re: Call for IT Survey Participants

On 03/25/2004 03:51 PM, Don Levey wrote:

fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 14:25, Don Levey wrote:

Michael Gargiullo wrote:

We'd participate in your survey, but nobody runs MS office here.
Send us a spreadsheet in openoffice format, and we will participate.

-Mike

Doesn't your OpenOffice open XLS-format spreadsheets? Mine does. -Don

Yes Don,

The point wasn't that I can't...

So what you're saying is that it's OK to skew the survey in favour of MS products, to stand on principle. Additionally, phrasing your question
as you do suggests that only someone who runs MS Office would even try
to open the file.

-Don

I think really he's just trying to point out two simple facts:

1) There is an inherent bias expressed in the use of a MS format for a survey about MS vs. Linux. It may be small, but it's there. And it's kind of funny.
2) Asking people to do it in a spreadsheet is dumb anyway. A web form is a much smarter way to handle this. You'd get more people to participate, have an easier way to collect personal info from them, and get responses with fewer mistakes.

It's not such a big deal.