su Usage

Can somone point me to a good doc on using "su"..

I have always just logged in a root because security was not really an issue, but now I need to operate in a more secure fashion as far as user account controls are concerned so the starting point I feel is to not allow root to login directly with ssh..

This means I have to get to grips with the ins and outs of "su" but the man page is a little shy.. anyone got any useful info?

Thanks..