Re: Using 2 distributions of linux; deleting a windows partition-help needed

First, you want to make sure which is which.  Linux will list them as /hda1 /hda2 and /hda3
The Windows C partition will be easy to spot using "fdisk -l" because it is the smallest.
The other two, you will want to mount the other two partitions, look around to spot some identifying files so that you know for sure 100% absolutely (you get my drift).
Write it down (C = /hda1, etc)

Now, now matter how sure you are you've got it right, take a backup.

Once you've done that, you can repartition in Linux using qtparted, or in Windows using partition magic.
Just delete the E: partition then move the empty partition so that it is immediately to the right of the C partition.
In order to move the partition, there must be enough free space on the drive to do so, since they're about the same size, you may or may not have to shrink the D: partition prior to moving the free (E:) partition.
Resize the C partition to whatever size you want, leaving a chunk for the other bootable partition you want reserved.

On a side note, you should convert your Linux partitions to ext3 with journaling using mke2fs (search the archives, there are some good messages on that)

Kaustubh Ghosh wrote:

I have Fedora Core 1(in a 6GB partition),Windows 98 and XP(which is corrupted and cannot be started for now) in the rest of 40GB hard disk.
Under windows partition I have C:(7GB & FAT32),D:(12GB & FAT16) and E:(12GB &FAT32).
I want to delete E: and allot it to Linux.How can I do so?(I have partition magic 8,if it is required).I need to do it badly.
I also want to install another Linux distro ( PCQLinux  which is actually FC1 with some enhancements and installs both kernel-2.4.22-...nptl.. which comes default with FC1 and also kernel-2.6.2. ) in the same hard disk ,if possible in the 12GB partition.
Is it possible to do so.
My FC1 has both 2.4....nptl.. and 2.6.4 kernels(though I have to log on to text mode in the latter).
Thanks in advance.