Re: Red Hat 8.0 to Fedora

Hi,

 --- Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Am Di,
den 16.03.2004 schrieb pablo gietz um 18:21:
> > I need to know if I can install Fedora over Red
> Hat 8 and maintain
> > actual configurations.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> You certainly can. It depends on some criteria if it
> is wiser to do an
> offline upgrade using the CDs of FC1, to do an
> online upgrade or to do a
> clean new install. If you have a highly customized
> RH8 system a fresh
> install might be better after backing up all data.
> the decision you have
> to make your own.

Experiencing this process myself, in my opinion you're
better off installing FC1 from scratch and migrating
whatever services and apps you use to the newer and
updated versions.

It does involve alot more work doing it this way, but
you eventually get a cleaner installation at the end.

BTW, what I'd do first is "Ghost" your current RH8
installation to another machine, try an upgrade etc
(if you don't have another machine, test FC1 on your
current, if things don't work Ghost your old image
back to the machine). If things break you know what to
expect, if things work, you know what to expect. From
there you can decide which way you'd like to proceed.

Michael.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com