Re: Migrating to SATA drive

Am Di, den 16.03.2004 schrieb Michael um 17:59:
> I have a MSI KT6V mobo which has SATA onboard using the VIA6240 chipset.
> This is not supported through the 2.4 kernel so I rebuilt and installed the
> 2.6.4 kernel which does support SATA.  I did all of this on an IDE drive
> which I put into the system just for this purpose.  Now I want to migrate my
> system to the SATA Drives which I have set up in the BIOS using RAID1 but I
> don't know how to do the migration.  I see the SATA drives in the hardware
> browser but cannot get to them to format or migrate the system from the IDE
> drive.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do next to get my system to the
> SATA drives?
>
> Thank you
> Mike

It was explained here already several times: those onboard solutions are
no real hardware RAID controllers. They are just BIOS supported software
RAID solutions.

You must have a kernel driver module for getting the system to detect
the controller. If there is a specific one loaded it can see the 2
drives as one RAID1 array. You should be able to format that drive;
typically it is has a SCSI numbering like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and so on.

After doing partitioning (fdisk) you should be able to format the
partitions (mkfs.ext3 i.e.). Then copy the system to the SATA drives
array i.e. using "cp -a" or "dd". When all data is copied you have to
make the grub.conf fitting the drive's setup which is different to your
current. Additional you have to create an initial ramdisk using mkinitrd
which has to contain some SCSI modules as well as the most important
controller driver module. Last step should be to install the bootloader
on the first SATA drive.

If all is done pretty you should be able to boot from the SATA drives.
It's no easy job to make all things right. But you have your current
PATA drive in background from which you can boot if you do not succeed
the first time.

Much luck

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 20:08:05 up 7 days, 20:27, load average: 0.01, 0.14, 0.17
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]