root priveleges for the desktop and GUI apps in Fedora

When I run an app that requires root it prompts me for the root password. After I enter it a 'key' icon appears on the right side of the panel. This appears to indicate that I have root priveleges for my GUI session. This is a great idea which could save me from entering my root password repeatedly.

But it doesn't seem to work completely. The key dissapears after a while, and I still encounter some cases where it doesn't recognize that I have root privileges.

Is there documentation for this feature somewhere?  Is this a RH feature?

Thanks,
Tom.