Re: Spam Assassin Speed

From: "J. Scott Amort" <jsamort@xxxxxxx>

> Hi All,
>
> After reading through a few threads on Spam Assassin, and given a recent
> increase in the amount of spam arriving in my inbox, I thought I would
> give it a whirl.  It is, however, terribly slow.  I belong to several
> mailing lists, and receive anywhere from 300-500 emails a day.  It seems
> to take Spam Assassin 20-30 seconds or so to process each email!  Is
> this usual?  I have tried both the spamassassin -e and spamc approaches
> to creating an evolution filter, but it made no difference in speed
> either way.  Any tips for speeding things up?

You are using a slow processor, too. It takes a little under 30 seconds
to scan, via "spamassassin -t", an average email on the 133MHz Pentium
with 256 megs of ram I use here for the job. I am told LOTS of ram helps
the situation materially. A test via spamc/spamd typically takes about 7
seconds. So that is the way I have the machine configured.

> Cheers,
>
> Scott
>
> PS I set things up by following the instructions at:
>
> http://www.atlantawebhost.com/articles/evolution_spamassassin.php

There is something wrong with setting it up with a real configuration
for sendmail or postfix? The Evolution thing looks like it tries to
sidestep the fetchmail->procmail->spamassassin process. It leads to a
massive slowdown that way due to the HUGE overhead of repeatedly
starting the perl interpreter.

(You might be able to adapt the spamc/spamd approach to the evolution
trick with a little creative thinking, though.)

{^_^}