Re: Why FC-2?

Alan Horn wrote:

> I'm probably dogmatic about it too, but thats because it works well for
> _me_, in large environments, where I need to work efficiently and
> repeatedly.

It seems to me that you are talking about a completely different issue --
how to keep a large number of machines in sync.
I'm dealing with the question:
is it better to upgrade or re-install on a single machine.

I think it is better to upgrade,
if only because if something goes wrong you can always install,
so you get two bites at the apple.

I find the people who airily say "Keep a copy of the old /etc"
rather unconvincing.
My /etc contains hundreds of files,
and it would take me hours to go through them
determining which were relevant.

One issue that has bitten me on a couple of machines
is that if you install and the supplied kernel does not work
you are up the creek.
If you upgrade and the kernel doesn't work
you can always use the old kernels.
IIRC, the kernels supplied with RH-8.1 and RH-9
didn't work on my SCSI only machine.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366