Re: Fedora mysteriously hangs for no reason at all

Peter Santiago wrote:

Hi,

I'm using 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl kernel on an AMD Athlon 1G with 512 RAM. Ever
since upgrading the kernel version from the stock kernel, my machine suffers
infrequent machine hangs. Checking /var/log/messages doesn't show anything
out of place.

I added the following two options to my boot line in grub.conf

apm=off acpi=off

My entire boot line look like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp ro root=LABEL=/ apm=off acpi=off hdd=ide-scsi rhgb

However, your options may be slightly different.

Also, I disabled ACPI in the bios. This only became a problem for me with Fedora, I never had the problem with RedHat 9.0. Also, something must have changed recently, because I had corrected this problem before with the options spelled a different way. After making these changes and rebooting, I have not had one lockup.

--
Doug Brott
brott@xxxxxxxx