Re: HP LaserJet 1000

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Do, den 19.02.2004 schrieb Mario St-Gelais um 20:23:

I started not so long ago with Linux.  Initially, I installed SUSE Linux
and with some pain was able to install my HP printer.

Then I switched to Fedora and I haven't been able to make that damn
printer puke some printed stuff.  I followed all instructions as per
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ without success.  When I do "cat
sihp1000.img > /dev/usb/lp0" the printer burps out some noise indicating
I guess that the driver is being loaded buy yet it won't print.  Looking
at log files I get all kind of messages according to flavor of the day I
guess : "paper tray empty" or "printer faults".  But I damn know it is
not empty.

What am I gonna do switch back to SUSE??

Suggestions??

The HP LaserJet 1000 is a so called "Windows printer" - it is a GDI
model. That is the reason why
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1000
tells you how to load the firmware out of the Windows driver. But as
said on the page to, it is a "works mostly" workaround.

You then have to configure cups to use the driver. Instructions are to
be found from the site mentioned above.

Alexander

Thanks Alexander. Been to that page quite often. I guess I will have to go again...
Oh and by the way I know sihp1000.img is not an image LOL

Mario

--
Mario St-Gelais