Re: silent soundblaster live problem

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 08:59, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> Have you checked your system's sound mixers? If you are running KDE
> instead of Gnome, sometimes the sound mixers will be off or working
> against each other. I seem to notice this problem more with SB Live!
> cards. This really has also been more of a problem with Mandrake
> systems, where KDE is the preferred DE, but still is worth a look at.

Thanks - yeah I had checked kmix but apparently there was something
called aumix as well... It had PCM, whatever that is, set to 0 - but it
helped! The speakers made a barely audible noise!

Googling around led me to try installing alsa from freshrpms - which
worked, eventually, and all the modules load correctly - but the sound
is still weak and scratchy. This system used to get pretty loud. Plus,
now kmix and kartsd are complaining and using too much CPU. No idea
what the problem is, been working all afternoon on it.

thanks for the reply