Is rhnsd necessary if we're using yum for updates?

I'm trying to shut off any services that aren't necessary, so I'm wondering if rhnsd is necessary if I'm using yum to carry out updates via mirrors.

(I tried the archive, but apparently it's down:
redhat.com is temporarily unavailable. Please try back later.
If you wish to place an order for Red Hat products, please call 1-888-REDHAT1.)

The description leads me to believe that since I'm not checking in with RHN, it's unnecessary:

"This is a daemon which handles the task of connecting periodically to the Red Hat Network servers to check for updates, notifications and perform system monitoring tasks according to the service level that this server is subscribed for"

So what do you all think? Is it okay to shut off rhnsd in Services?

Thanks,
Clint