PHP & Postgresql: Queries no longer contain field names

I have recently converted to fedora from 7.2.

Prior to the upgrade, queries executed with pg_exec() or pg_query() would
return fields AND field names (as the first row in the result).  After the
upgrade the field names are not returned.

I've compared the php.ini files from both domains and cannot find a
difference.  Executing the query from the pgsql command line still returns
field names.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
gm