Re: MySQL 4 RPM question..

Schlueri wrote:
> > Somone pointed me to this page..
> > http://fedoranews.org/contributors/tony_smith/mysql/

<snip>

I have no problems with the original mysql rpms on 5 FC1 Machines, one
of this production enviroment (yes, it's stable!).

To install mysql 4 on your FC1 Box, go to
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.0.html

1.)
Download RPMS from mysql.com:

Server, Client programs,  Libraries and header files (if you need devel
rpms!), Dynamic client libraries (including 3.23.x libraries)

2.)
Remove existing mysql rpms via 'rpm -e --nodeps {name}', if installed.
Check this with 'rpm -qa|grep -i mysql'.

I've found that simply doing rpm -Uvh usually works if you include the compat package. This was on RH9 though, but I don't see why it wouldn't carry over to FC1.

3.) Install the downloaded mysql rpms...

You may get better performance from rebuilding the source. However, what the URL listed above fails to mention is that if you install the compat packages, the dependancies no longer copmlain, since they replace the libraries that PHP, etc. require. Because of that, you can usually get away with using the binary RPMS. Yes, it may be better to rebuild the dependancies to use the 4.x libs, but that becomes a pain each time errata is released on those dependancies (been there, done that, now using the compat package).

HTH,
-Rick
--
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson@xxxxxxxxxx
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.