Re: dot allowed adduser/useradd

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 13:30, WipeOut wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> >Am Di, den 03.02.2004 schrieb Balint Cristian um 12:44:
> >

> >>Hi !
> >>
> >>	I already digged maillist, i understand why cannot be dot in the username
> >>while i "adduser", my Q is that if there is some workaround or some patch, i really need to allow dot in usernames
> >>it is to ugly to modify /etc/pass entry's.
> >>	I looket too at src.rpms i coud not figure out where to touch, i see no redhatish patch wich remove the dot feauture
> >>and in tarball is difficult to find out.
> >>
> >>Any sugestion ?
> >>
> >>cristian
> >>

> >For what reason should it be good to have dots in usernames to be
> >allowed? Any real good reason?
> >
> >Dots are at least forbidden charactes in usernames and groupnames as
> >chown will fail with such names.
> >
> >Alexander
> >

> My reason was to make it possible for a user with the email address
> "first.last@xxxxxxxxxx", which is out company standard convention for
> email addresses, to log into their mail box with "first.last".. That way
> they don't get confused about their email address and user name (as
> users often do).. These users do not log into the system shell as they
> are only for mail..

Just for my own info, but couldn't this be solved by authenticating mail
users in a different way? I used to do this by authenticating on mysql
rahter than normal system auth, so that i had almost no local user on
mail server. Of course this is not viabile if your users also need to
log on the mail server for some reason.

E.