Re: Metacity

Perhaps it was a poor implementation. Enlightenment? Sawmill? Can't remember which, I just remember a lot of bouncing back and forth and back and forth and back and forth between desktops without meaning to switch desktops at all. As I recall, if you hit the right hand border it would kick you to the next window and if you did not imediately move the mouse to the right it would blink you back, and then if you did not immediately move the mouse to the left, it would kick you back to the right and and then you didn't know which way to move the mouse at any given instant and... and... and... Norman! Coordinate!

The switchdesk comment was a joke. However, KDE does have at least some of the features you are asking for. I love the simplified Gnome 2.4, but Meaticty could probably do with a few more features. Always on top really would be nice at times.