RE: Newbie Question - LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Will Clifton um 20:02:
> Thank you once again Alexander.
>
> Actually, the problem is I don't know HOW to add my LIBDIR path to
> /etc/ld.so.conf. When I open /etc/ld.so.conf this is what I get:
>
> -----
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/lib/sane
> /usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib
> /usr/local/lib

^^^^ The directory to where you seem to have installed additional
libraries is already there. To be clear: you do not need LIBDIR in
there! In the error message you got LIBDIR was ment as a variable to be
replaced by the location where additional libraries are to be found,
which are not in standard search path for libs and not already listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf. With you entry libs in /usr/local/lib are to be found
as long you did run ldconfig.

> /usr/lib
> ------
>
> So how do I add LIBDIR as a global environment parameter? Do I put it in
> my ld.so.conf file? What exactly do I add?? Should it be in my
> /etc/profile instead?? All I want to do is have the installers be able
> to find my LIBDIR because I have gotten this error message with many
> programs.

See above.

> Yes I have run ldconfig (-v so I could read output) and there were no
> errors.

Good!

> I have no problem either editing the Makefile or giving an argument to
> ./configure, I just want to know how to set the LIBDIR parameter
> globally since that is what the installers seem to be looking for.
>
> Thank you so much for your help.
>
> Will

Sorry if I confused you. I hope it is now clear. You specified your
additional libraries directory which was claimed by the build process as
"LIBDIR" in the /etc/ld.so.config and did run ldconfig. So it is set
global. For additional info see "man ldconfig".

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 20:07:38 up 4:55, 7 users, 0.10, 0.17, 0.17
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]