Re: chroot shell in Fedora

Bob Byron wrote:
No, I haven't had the need to create a chroot shell before.  So, I am simply
trying to setup the simplest configuration.

David Jackson wrote:

So, why does Fedora not see the passwd and group files?

Have you've gotten this to work on a stock Redhat box?

Of course it won't work. When you "chroot", you make the specified directory the root of the filesystem. "chroot /usr/jail" means that "/usr/jail" is now "/" for that shell. It CAN'T traverse back up the directory tree to the normal /etc, since it doesn't exist for this shell.

You'd need to copy /etc/passwd, /etc/group, etc. to /usr/jail for the
mnemonics to come up.  This is exactly what you do when you set up a
"secure" anonymous FTP site.

Also note that any program that is NOT built into the shell will also
cease to work, since "/bin", "/usr/bin", etc. are also "above" the
chrooted root directory.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -