Re: kernel-module-nvidia-driver for kernel-2.2.22-1.2149.nptl?

bdunne wrote:

I have one final question... will it always be necessary to upadate the
kernel-module-nvidia-driver with each kernel update? Or will something

eventually

be put in place so that the driver from the previous kernel will work with

the

new one?

Yes, a feature called modversioning is being developed. It allows the kernel module to check and see if all the kernel hooks it uses are compatible with what it expects, even if it is compiled for a different version of the kernel.
Modversioning won't be a guarantee that a module compiled for kernel X with work with kernel Y, but it will make it a real possibility.

Check out this article at LWN for more info:

http://lwn.net/Articles/21393/

Wasn't SDL supposed to take care of binary drivers?

I have an nvidia card at home on RHL 9 and have had to back out to the 'nv'
driver. I built the newdriver, but when X starts the screan goes black and
the monitor goes to sleep, and the keyboard and mouse are locked up, but I
could still ssh into the machine, to change the XF86Config file, and reboot.

On a second note: Is alsa going to be standard in FC2, I hope so, the sound
card on my home machine is not supported by oss but is with alsa.

Guy