Re: Enterprise Linux Server

Jeremy Kruer wrote:

Hello,

I read that Fedora is more of a development version of Linux and is not stable enough to run as an enterprise server.

I would say its stable enough but the issue you have to face is the short release cycle, can you take your server offiline to perform an upgrade every 4-6 months??

This issue may be addressed by the Fedora-Legacy project thet is starting up but as yet its still in its infancy..

If this is true, does anyone have any suggestions for a good stable version of Linux that would be appropriate for an enterprise server? I have read a couple people mention www.whiteboxlinux.org <http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/> does anyone have any experience with this? Were would I be able to go for support, I did not see any mailing lists with it.

There are lists for Whitebox.. Another one you may want to look at is taolinux.org, it seems they have been running a little longer and looks more jacked up.. I haven't used either so i can't comment on which is better..

What are other people using? I don’t want to pay thousands of dollars for RHEL, but I want something that would be stable enough for the enterprise environment. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I have the same issues, I think the prices for RHEL are a little high.. You could almost considder changing back to Windows at the prices that are being asked for an RHEL based server (NOTE: This is my opinion, others are welcome to differ but I don't really want to hear about it)..

I have started looking at other alternatives for my servers like Trustix Secure Linux and maybe even Gentoo..

For a workstation I would have to say Fedora is one of the best distro's around..

Later..