Re: Epson Stylus Color 600, yeah, it's old

Rafael Fernandez wrote:
Hello,

I have an old printer here at home, an Epson Stylus Color 600 which is supported by cups and work "perfectly" with gimp-print acording to http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php3 and http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Color_600. I am running Linux kernel 2.6.1 and I can't get anything to print.

Any help? Can't find anything useful on Google.

I'm running epson 740's (similar parallel interface + gimp-print + cups) on the rawhide kernel 2.6.1 without problem. I'd think the only thing that the kernel would affect would be the parallel interface.

If cups was running, the /sbin/lsmod output should include:
  parport_pc             42924  1
  lp                     13060  0
  parport                47336  2 parport_pc,lp

If the modules aren't there, you won't be able to communicate via the parallel
port.  You could try loading them manually with   "modprobe lp", then restart
cups:
  service cups restart

For 2.6.1, I don't have *any* printer or parallel port info in
/etc/modprobe.conf

Can you communicate with the printer?  Try stopping cups and querying the
ink status:

  service cups stop
  escputil -r /dev/lp0 -i
   (might take a while ..)
  service cups start

The 600 may be old, but it's still running strong here!

Hope this helps,
-Bob Arendt