Re: Making an updated DVD.

Does anyone know a howto on creating a updated installation DVD (or CD's) from the original tree and downloaded update packages. I've been looking around on the internet, but I can't seem to find it.

If there's no howto any other help is welcome as well.

CDs can be a little complicated, since you have to split up your RPMS into CD-sized chunks.

It's fairly straightforward, however, to create an updated installation directory, from which you can do network installs or (I presume) make a new DVD.

$DIST is the directory with your Fedora Core distribution.

1) Replace updated RPMs under $DIST/Fedora/RPMS with their new, updated versions. (A script to do this intelligently is left as an exercise for the reader, although autoupdate [http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/] includes that functionality in it's --merge function and, being perl, could have it easily extracted.

2) install the anaconda-runtime package

3) regenerate your hdlist
# /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --productpath Fedora $DIST

That's it!

Oh, and here's a HOWTO I found while typing this up:
http://www2.packetstorm.org:443/fedora_single_cd_load_project.htm

For the other posters, what we want/need is an installation CD that just installs the updated versions right up front, so that when we're installing many many systems, we don't have to waste time logging into each one afterwards and updating it.