xawtv behaving badly, vertical bars distoring image

I picked up a WinTV Go card a couple months ago so I can keep up with CNBC/CNN/etc. while I'm in my office. For a while it worked perfectly but in the last couple weeks the image frequently gets distored. There are dozens of vertical bars across the video image where the picture seems offset about 1/4th of the screen. I hope that makes sense.

Strangely enough screen grabs look perfect.

When I first start up xawtv after a reboot it works fine for a minute or two then the vertical lines start building up.

Any ideas???  It's getting really annoying.

-- Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/ greg @ gulik.org