Re: How do I know when a reboot is required?

JesterDev wrote:

Normally I only reboot about every 2-3 weeks no matter what or how many

As others have mentioned, it is probably good to reboot a few times a year to check for hardware/software/other problems. I have seen drives with bearings going out that will run fine until they stop spinning from a cold boot. That being said, I have seen systems go for a long time. I had Redhat 5.2 on an old Compaq Deskpro run for about a year. I have another 2P workstation running seti and some web stuff as follows...

[root@guineapen root]# date
Wed Jan 14 14:19:27 CST 2004
[root@guineapen root]# uptime
  2:19pm  up 421 days, 18:30,  2 users,  load average: 2.00, 2.00, 2.00
[root@guineapen root]#